Carlos Sainz will stay at Toro Rosso next year, with Red Bull having taken up the option on his contract.
The Spaniard had been linked with Ferrari in recent weeks on the back of his strong form for Toro Rosso over the course of this season.
However, in a bid to avoid him getting lured away, Red Bull this week took up an option in his contract.
It means Sainz is committed to Toro Rosso until the end of 2017.
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner confirmed at a media event on Wednesday that Sainz's future was secure.
"We took up his option earlier this week so he is committed to Red Bull for the next 12 months - then we have the ability to place them where we want," he said.
"He is currently at Toro Rosso and that is where he will be next year."
Despite Sainz being kept on on in Red Bull's junior team, his hopes of moving up for 2018 still appear slim with both Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen under contract for the next two years.
However, Horner said sorting out Sainz's future was not a big drama
"It's a luxury issue really. We are set in RBR for the next two-and-a-half years so it is a luxury issue to have."
Horner said he also expected Daniil Kvyat to remain at Toro Rosso as well.
When asked if Sainz would have a different teammate in 2017, he said: "I'd be surprised.
"I think Dany Kvyat is continuing his development, he is finding his feet now and there isn't an obvious candidate knocking on the door at the moment that would warrant that seat."